Friday, January 29, 2016

A very busy start to the new year!

I can remember many years ago when the holidays were over it was time to sit and relax and stitch. MANY years ago! I have not had that pleasure for the last 10 years since I started this business. There are occasional summer stretches when I have some slow time but never in the winter. When stitchers are busy I am busy.

I think I previously mentioned that I had quit making the motto frames for at least 6 months about a year ago. After hand carving over 500 of them, and 4 hand carved corner leaves for each one, my arthritic hands told me to quit. Well...I was swamped with requests to continue to make them so I had my son take over making the frames since my husband wanted to quit. I then do the carving and staining and the story continues. I also stitch mottoes for many of my customers who do not stitch or are intimidated by stitching on paper and want the antique style needlework. And do they keep me busy? In the last 3 weeks I have stitched 7 mottoes (they take 8-12 hours each) and carved 12 frames. I also stitched my two newest mottoes in the large and the mini sizes. And now.....I have 3 mottoes and 5 frames to do in the next 6 days for orders I just got in the last two days. Any why am I telling you this????? Because my new floss line is on the back burner once again until I get these finished. I had hoped to be done by the end of January...now I am hoping for the middle of next month. The ebay orders are a priority as they have to be completely quickly to maintain a good rating.

This has been a very busy new year so far! Keeping busy is good but there are times when I am too busy. I prefer to do all the custom stitching myself for quality control. I had a gal stitch a few model samples for me years ago but it didn't work out. And as for frames....I will continue to do the carving for now. I have been teaching my son a little of the carving but I think it has to be a real fascination and interest in carving to attempt all that work. They are carving duplicating machines that we have seen but I don't like the look of the finished product and to spend $12,000 on a machine....I need to like the finished product. And they can't carve the sides of the frames so here we are. Hand carving.

I hope you are having fun with new projects for 2016. I hope to do a few mini sampler patterns this spring and maybe....just maybe....have the time to sit and stitch a little. Sounds heavenly!

I thought I would share what has been keeping me busy. Thanks for stopping by...thanks for listening.
Nancy

31 comments:

  1. As always, you amaze me to how much you can do and how busy you keep. Glad business is good, but do hope you get a breather now and then. Love your new pieces...just have to decide which one I want..LOL. I love the red you did them in too. My favorite color of choice.
    Hang in there..we love your patterns and your floss and .... you get the picture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one awesome lady! I am blown away by how much you do... And keep doing! Time seems to be all used up doing wonderful things with your business. Oh but... Remember to take a little time for you... As you know I adore everything that you do, I just am a natural worrier I guess!
    Sending you some happy smiles :)
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacquie. I guess me "free" time will come with retirement...if I ever retire! LOL

      Delete
  3. Wow, I cant believe you can fit all that in, my hat and heart goes out to you. Enjoy the stitching and hopefully you get time for yourself, but above all take care of yourself. Thanks for taking the time to share. Guida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do keep extremely busy these days. I think if I had stitching friends close by I would get more free time...and fun!

      Delete
  4. I don't know how you do it all Nancy. Truely amazing. Keep up the great work but please take some time for yourself when you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran. I guess I have always been in overdrive...and not always enjoying it! LOL

      Delete
  5. Nancy, you're making me tired! LOL Isn't it funny that when we love our work, it isn't hard to just keep going? Remember to take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm tired too Angela! But when work is stacked up.....you get going!! LOL

      Delete
  6. Querida
    La entiendo perfectamente. También dispongo de poco tiempo para la costura, El trabajo a turnos, a veces me deja fuera de circulación, Me gusta coser, me entretiene, me evado de las adversidades del día a día.
    Le deseo un bonito fin de semana!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are amazing Nancy! There definitely needs to be an extra day in the week so that you can have some 'me' time! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been looking for that extra day for years...even just a few extra hours in a day would help, especially right now. In the end it will all get done and I will (one of these days) quit trying to do a dozen projects at once. Maybe!

      Delete
  8. You are busy!
    I hope you find some "you" time soon.
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to move close to "stitching" friends....they could entice me to sit and stitch and maybe relax!

      Delete
  9. Nancy, reading your post makes me tired! I think you need to take a vacation. I know you will get your ebay items finished within your time frame and with the great quality you are known for. Have a relaxing weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been saying for 10 years that I am going to take a vacation.....maybe next year.......maybe next year......

      Delete
  10. Wow, Nancy, you sure are busy! I hope that you do find time to rest and relax. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Busy is good...to a certain point. After the new floss line is done I am taking a day off! I hope.......

      Delete
  11. Sounds like you have more than your plate full of busyness Nancy! You deserve a lovely vacation just relaxing :) Have a wonderful weekend! Hopefully with some rest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often think of taking a vacation....then a pile of work magically appears and it is all too soon forgotten. Maybe a mini vacation would be easier to fit in. I want to go to Ohio to look at some farm property soon. I want to retire on a large farm.....I miss the farm life and all the animals. Now that would be a great retirement!

      Delete
  12. Sounds to me like you need to be triplets. Good luck with it all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my Nancy, Art-rit-is had visited me a few times lately, I do not like him, he needs to leave us crafters alone.
    Good luck on the frames., machines are very expensive.
    My hairdressers husband made his own laser carving machine and uses a computer for carving frames and anything else in wood.

    Blessings
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see one of his finished products. I have been disappointed with carving machines so far. Maybe he has a better solution.

      Delete
  14. Wow....you certainly are busy! Hope you can find some time to relax and do whatever you want to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think I forgot all the "fun" things I would like to do. I think it will have to wait for retirement at this point. When I get a short break from work it is to run do laundry, cleaning or cooking a meal for all of us. Where's the fun?? LOL

      Delete
  15. What's that old saying...."Staying busy will keep you young?" Well, that's your secret! But, truly, you need to carve out some time for yourself somewhere along the way my friend. The more you take on, the more will be put on.... You're a treasure to us all, and we don't want you to stop what you're doing...but you deserve to have a more comfortable pace... Smiles & Hugs ~ Robin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a sweetheart....would you please make my schedule for next month? Pretty please????

      Delete
  16. You are a busy bee, you amazed me, despite having lots to do, there so much of energy and creativity in you still. Hope you get to find some time to relax and enjoy some good 'me' time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope your hands are not hurting. They can make you miserable and take away pleasure from stitching. Amazed at how much you get done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! You are one busy woman!! I do think hand-carved frames are perfect for hand-stitched pieces! :)

    ReplyDelete