Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Mini Mottoes are back and so are the mini frames!

I love the little mini mottoes...they fit into spaces between the larger frames on the wall. Perfect little quotes and sayings. I first designed these about 8 years ago after I had a few requests for smaller mottoes. We made over 300 of the mini frames and couldn't keep them in stock. When my husband quit making frames I dropped the frames from my inventory but kept the mini kits. My son now makes all of our frames and he agreed to make them for me (I hardly had to twist his arm at all). And I am having him make a frame that is not criss cross at the corners so we have another style in the shop. I may need to twist his arm harder on that one.
Victorian-motto-Antique-sampler-MINI-kit-Home-Sweet-Home-new
Home Sweet Home is a best seller in the large and small kits.
A customer asked me to do a smaller version of "To my Dear Sister".....so I did the pattern this morning and two hours of stitching later....yes they only take 2-3 hours to stitch.....

Shown are just a few of the patterns that I have and I have done dozens and dozens of custom patterns over the years. The little mottoes measure 4-1/2" x 9", the frame is a little larger.
This morning I also did a pattern for The Sewing Parlour and The Stitching Parlour. I will find some time to squeeze in the stitching for those two. This week has been nothing but custom mottoes and I need to get back to the floss. I also need to stain a dozen small frames later today. The kit and frame is $46 and I will list them soon.

Are you feeling the pinch of the postal rate increase? It was bad enough that the post office raised their rates....but ebay threw a wrench in the mix that has me furious. They used to give us sellers a shipping discount on the small first class packages. It was $2.54 for 1-3 ounces and with our discount (that I passed right on to my customers) it was $2.04. And believe me. I have had customers complain when they purchase one skein of floss at $2 and postage was $2.04. I tell them that a dozen skeins can ship for the same price. Anyways, now ebay is no longer giving us the discount on 1-3 ounces. So a 1 ounce package costs $2.60 to mail! This (I hope) will really hurt ebay as I know it will hurt all sales on the smaller items. Greed is a sad thing....and we all pay in the long run. Sorry...but I needed to vent. I doubt that they will ever reverse their decision but one can only hope.

Back to work.....lunch break is over and I have a schedule that will keep me busy until 10 tonight.
Thanks for stopping by!
                                             Nancy

21 comments:

  1. LOVE your mini-mottoes and frames! they are so easy and sweet- and they make wonderful gifts when finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sell on Ebay, so I'm feeling that particular pinch too. I love the stitching parlour and the frame is perfect. Love it and can't wait to order myself one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry you have the hassle too.....and thank you for the compliment on the motto

      Delete
  3. I agree, the cost of postage has gotten ridiculous. It is enough to discourage people from starting up shops on-line. Sadly, prices have gone up on merchandise locally, as well. At first, I figured it was because of the cost of moving goods(fuel). The cost of fuel has gone down considerably, at least for a while, but I have not seen the costs of goods decrease locally or anywhere else, for that matter. So much for the theory "what goes up ...."(lol). Those kits are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The postal rates really get to all of us for sure. Thanks for the compliment on the mottoes.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous mini samplers, I will look out for when you have the kits and frames ready. Postage has got ridiculous here in Australia, too. Australia Post have just raised regular postage from 70 cents to $1.00 but said instead of taking one or maybe two days to arrive will now take at least three or up to six days! SIX DAYS! Outrageous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness.....and I thought our postage was high!

      Delete
  5. Beautiful mini mottoes and frames! I'm glad your son is helping you with the frames. I agree postage is getting ridiculous...esp with fuel prices so cheap now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be watching for these mini mottoes and frames to be available! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mini Mottoes are very pretty and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy you remind me of the "little engine that could"!! You just never stop bringing us new things and you keep on chugging! Many Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days this little engine can hardly make it up the hill! I think I can...I think I can.....

      Delete
  9. I love the Mini Motto's they are sweet! Would it be possible to get just the motto w/o the frame? I have 2 lovely friends/sisters in the UK! I would love to send them just the motto in a birthday card! I love your work...very beautiful! Thank you sew much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the mini motto kits are $19 without the frame.

      Delete
  10. Love the idea of 'mini motto's', they are really pretty. Here in Aust as mentioned above the postage is now ridiculous, especially as the service is worse. They call it progress, I call it 'sad'. Take care, glad to hear your son is helping you out, now you just have to teach to cross stitch and dye. Guida

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are very sweet. What a nice alternative to the larger mottos.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mini embroidery's so lovely Marie-Claire

    ReplyDelete