Saturday, March 5, 2016

Forget Me Not pattern

I took a little time each evening after work....that's 9 at night when I collapse in a chair, LOL, to work on a pattern for me. Something to hang on my wall. Not a custom pattern for a customer or anything like that. Something fun to do in the midst of this very busy time with my business. You have to take a little time to do something fun. I found that out many years ago. I work 7 days a week......I always have. But I take a little time here and there to create something unique.

I had a picture of an antique chromolithograph of a floral banner but decided I didn't like the flowers in it. I had a 4x4" drawing in black and white of a banner with a few flowers. That would work. So I drew it on the paper and then started adding flowers and stems. Good enough. I got some floss and went to work. Just having fun, adding a little each night. I didn't need everything drawn on the perforated paper as it is easy to add flowers and leaves as you go.
I added two little hummingbirds. Looked good to me. So I then added the words Forget Me Not on the ribbon banner. Just like a painting (I used to paint....I miss that and may get back to it when I retire some day), adding things as I stood back and could see a bare spot.....where it needed a little something. A flower. A leaf. And the painting with floss on my paper canvas grew all week and I think...think it may be finished. But you never know...I may look at it for a couple days and decide to add a flower or two. I have been known to grab my paints and go back to a painting just to add a tree branch. Or a few spots on a cow....I love painting cows. OK, back to floss.

I won't do this motto as a kit because this is a pattern for me....to hang in my guest room as the colors are perfect for that room....and I thought I would show it to you.
Looking at my monitor I think the colors are much softer than this....even with this new camera I am a little disappointed with the way it shows the colors. Oh well. I just wanted you to see what I did this week in my late evenings. And I really shouldn't have done so much stitching as I am swamped with hand carved frames again this week. I stitched a motto on the dark brown paper....again.....somebody please kick me in the hind end.....and I also took orders for two more on brown paper. I think I need my head examined. It just goes to show you....never say never.

I hope to put some floss together this week for a new give-away.....as it dawned on me that we don't have one going right now! How did I let that happen?? Oh yes...I was busy stitching!!

Thanks for stopping by. Have a great day.
Nancy

67 comments:

  1. It looks lovely, Nancy! I am glad you are taking a bit of time for your own stitching pleasure in the evening. Have a fabulous weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robin....it was a fun stitch even if it was late each evening before I got to it. Five evenings and it was done.

      Delete
  2. What a great piece! The hummingbirds just make it too. It's nice to do something for yourself once in awhile. I only stitch for people who I know will truly appreciate it, not everyone does. So, when I stitch something for me, I can "appreciate" it. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherri....I liked the hummingbirds too. I do appreciate my hard work! LOL

      Delete
  3. OMG, Nancy, this is just gorgeous!! So glad you did one just for you! I love your little birds...they are just so cute! Enjoy your beautiful piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy!!!! I was sending you an email when this comment came in...too funny! We are always thinking of each other at the same time.

      Delete
  4. Nancy, it's beautiful!!!! I'm amazed at all that you do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's gorgeous Nancy and I am so glad that you have something just for you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you....and it is nice to have another motto to hang on the wall instead of being mailed out to a customer.

      Delete
  6. It's beautiful. I love the little hummingbirds. I would love to have the chart if you decide to share (sell) it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one would be hard to chart...although the thought did cross my mind (quickly!). Maybe at a later date I will chart it.

      Delete
  7. Wowee, that is one beautiful piece of needlework -- amazing that you can just sit and compose your design as you go, but, with all of your talent and experience, I'm not surprised. The hummingbirds are the most adorably charming touch. Good to see you enjoying something all your own :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you......yes it is pretty easy after doing over 450 motto patterns

      Delete
  8. It is gorgeous Nancy! I'm glad you are stitching just for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you....and I am smiling because I am going to keep it to hang on the wall.

      Delete
  9. Nancy, it is gorgeous. I'm glad you stitched something just for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMGGP!!! as my grandson would say.....Oh My Golly Gee Pickles!!!!! That piece of work is absolutely fabulous!! Wonderful that you did that for yourself. It's a one of a kind.love the hummingbirds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is too cute Robin........and thank you for the compliment on the design.

      Delete
  11. Congrats Nancy so beautiful i love it Hugs Marie-Claire

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the new motto pattern - pretty, pretty! I am so glad that you take time to do something just for you; everyone needs to fit those stitches in - good therapy and stress reliever. Happy stitching..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And yes.....it felt good to do some stitching for me. I would love to get back to stitching on linen.....time to design a new small sampler and make the time.

      Delete
  13. Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And I wish I could see projects that all of you do. I need more hours in the day!

      Delete
  14. Love your very own project, well done. Glad to hear you make time for something for yourself. Take care and thanks for sharing. Guida

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit that it was nice to stitch something that I can keep instead of just an order for a customer.

      Delete
  15. Beautiful. Sometimes we have to remind ourselves that it's OK to create something just for ourselves!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carol. And I didn't feel guilty stitching something to keep for me....I stitch so many mottoes for others.

      Delete
  16. How very pretty. You so deserve taking the time to stitch for yourself.
    Happy Sunday!
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is beautiful. I like to stitch for others but sometimes it seems like it's all I ever do! Good for you to take time to create for yourself. Love the little hummers. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to stitch for others.....but it was nice to be able to have fun...put a stitch here...there...anywhere I felt like it. Just enjoy it as the design developed. And I get to keep it! LOL

      Delete
  18. So very pretty! You made a beautiful piece to hang in your house... Thanks for sharing. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And I know right where I am going to hang it.

      Delete
  19. Nancy, this is BEAUTIFUL! I hope that you would be able to find time to chart it in the future as I would love to stitch this and have it in my home too! Lovely little hummingbirds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will put it on the list of charts (things) to do......maybe if I live to 100 I will get everything done on the list!! LOL

      Delete
  20. What a beautiful piece for a guest room! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's really lovely! If you ever put the pattern up for sale, I'll purchase it.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try to find the time to chart it later this year.

      Delete
  22. So pretty! Nice that you managed to squeeze in some time for personal stitching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I need to find more time like that. I miss stitching my own projects.

      Delete
  23. Very pretty....and well deserved.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Nancy, your unique piece is outstanding. and yes, you certainly deserve to have something beautiful for yourself in the midst of all the work you do for others. thank you for sharing with us. P.S. be sure to let us know if you ever change your mind and do offer this design for sale !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. After this mountain of floss is done I will try to find the time to chart it.

      Delete
  25. Beautiful work as always Nancy. Good for you for getting a little time for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's a beautiful piece. What a talented lady you are.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It really is a lovely piece, Nancy :) I can't believe it only took you 5 evenings! You're certainly a speedy stitcher!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Yes the perforated paper mottoes stitch quickly as you are mostly using the long satin stitch. 8-12 hours is the usual time to stitch most mottoes. Cross stitches would take much longer and you can stitch any motto with the cross stitch if you like that look better. I have antiques that are stitched both ways.

      Delete
  28. This piece is lovely and I too don't know how you do it so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the compliment. And it is the perforated paper that makes it a quick stitch. Cross stitch would take forever to do.

      Delete
  29. Gorgeous Nancy, what a wonderful stitchery.
    Greetings,
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  30. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete