Friday, January 23, 2015

Hand carved sampler frame

    It has been a very busy start for this new year. After Christmas  (I survived!) I got swamped with orders for stitched and framed motto samplers and I am almost done with those orders. In between all of those I have managed to start on a new sampler pattern and also a new hand carved frame. I have a beautiful antique frame that I used for my Welcome Spring sampler if you remember. Here is the picture again.
I have been carving the Adirondack frames for my motto samplers for 9 years and I wanted another large frame for my Youth's Flowery Season Sampler I did last year. My son made the frame for me. It is a little larger than a standard 16 x 20 frame (stitched it on 32ct and should have been 36 and it would have fit) so I got out the carving tools and I am half done with the frame. Here is a progress picture of the fancy top part

I hope to have it finished this weekend as I am anxious to see it stained. I am also doing drawings of the next frame I want to do with a slightly different design of my own. Will I sell these? Not sure yet. They take almost a week to carve so I don't know...they may be too expensive for most people. If I had just the frame to carve it wouldn't take so long but I have to keep stopping to do ebay orders and other things....and these arthritic hands can only do so much. I would love to do wood carving full time if I had the hands for it. I guess I should have started carving 40 years ago!

I hope all of you are enjoying new projects this year.....I love to hear from you so drop me a line or two  when you have the time.
                                                 Nancy

34 comments:

  1. So Beautiful !! You have so many talents to be proud of !! I love it all ! If you do carve a frame I would like to be the first (or as close as possible) on you order list :) This is my official pre-order request :) Just Stunning !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still considering doing the frames....of course you can have any custom size to fit your needlework.....we will see how it goes! Thanks so much.

      Delete
  2. So beautiful!! But where do you find the time??!! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful! You are one of many talents. I so appreciate anything done by hand especially in this day and time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stunning frame and the sampler is beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You do amazing work! Your talents are a blessing and I'm so glad you share them.
    ~Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing frame! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your talents and skills are amazing, Nancy! Your frame is gorgeous and I look forward to seeing it finished and stained.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    Robin in Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  8. What amazing artistic talents. You are surely blessed! Thanks for Sharing with us.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful frame! You are a Jack of All Trades, Nancy. Designing, stitching, dyeing, carving... Would love to see your new design - in your new frame. :)
    Thank you.
    Katya

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Is there anything that you DON'T do? :-) It's beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your frame is exquisite Nancy. How do you do it all, what's your secret?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use the talent that God so graciously gave me. When my life is through I will be able to tell him I used all the talent he gave me. Thank you all for the kind compliments on the frame.

      Delete
  12. Wow!! That is beautiful--actually BOTH are beautiful!! Can't get over them! I THINK I have a hand carved frame that I found in an antique shop in Maryland... going to go look at it again... Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The frame is so beautiful! A true work of art! You are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you're just a "jill" of all trades!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful frame and sampler. Lovely work.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your embroidery is very beautiful and a wonderful setting.What an efforet to create a beautiful setting congratulations hugs from Belgium Marie-Claire

    ReplyDelete
  17. All I can say is "wow"! You have amazing talents. Thank you for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful stitchery and frame. I love that style of frame :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Okay you are one super woman. I didn't know you hand craved the frames yourself. It's gorgeous Nancy! WOW!!! love Annette

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! Love the needlework and the frame! You are so very talented and the work you do is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  21. El sampler es hermoso, pero el marco lo es mucho más,felicidades

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! You carve too! Your frame is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Is there anything you can't do?! ;-)

    The frame is going to be gorgeous.

    I look forward to seeing the new sampler design.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It was so good to hear from you. Judy S said that you have been very busy just as I figured. Love the frames you are carving. I have an antique one that is carved; I will take a photo of it sometime and email it to you just in case it is different than the ones you have. Hope you have a great weekend, and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Amazing! You are so creative that it just bubbles up and flows out to so many different areas.Wish I had half of your ability.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nancy, that is amazing! I am impressed...woodcarving no less!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a talent! I don't consider myself talented just because I can follow a pattern. This is true talent! Let me know if you need any help with your floss!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Seriously, you carve as well? Where does your talent end, my friend!
    BEAUTIFUL

    ReplyDelete